Higher Certificate in Church Ministry
Core Modules (80 Credits):
Electives - Choose any one of the following tracks (40 Credits)
Church Ministry Track
Optional Modules (No Credits)
- CX01 - Study Skills
- CX02 - English Skills
- CX03 - Computer Skills
- CX04 - Research Skills
Requirements for Admission
A student may be accepted into the MTC Higher Certificate in Church Ministry if he/she meets any of the following requirements:
- A South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching — English — as certified by Umalusi, coupled with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in four recognized NSC 20-credit subjects; (Based on Department of Education Higher Education Act, 1997(Act 101 of 1997) Minimum Admission Requirements for Higher Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor's Degree Programmes requiring a National Senior Certificate (NSC) (Government Gazette, 24 Vol 751, No 32131 of 11 July 2008); or,
- An accredited equivalent of a National Senior Certificate from a foreign institution that is deemed equivalent to no. 1 above; or,
- A Higher Certificate or Advanced Certificate in a cognate field with an average of at least 50%; or,
- A Diploma, Bachelor’s, or other qualification at an exit level of NQF Level 5 or higher with an average of at least 50%.
Foreign students need to take note of the following requirements:
- Only certified copies of identity documents (e.g. passport), visas, qualifications, and transcripts will be accepted for application purposes;
- Students with a school-leaving certificate equivalent to the South African National Senior Certificate can only be accepted into an accredited MTC programme once the certificate has been evaluated by the relevant South African qualifications authority, in this case Higher Education South Africa (HESA).
- Undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications from a foreign institution will be evaluated by MTC, however, MTC may require the student to have the qualification evaluated by the relevant South African qualifications authority, in this case the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- Any foreign qualification that cannot be verified will not be considered in an application and the student may have to apply for admission via RPL.
All applicants who are accepted to study at MTC have to write an entrance exam. The purpose of this exam is to identify the student’s level of competence in the English language, academic literacy, and computer skills. Based on his/her results, a student will be required to take associated support modules in the course of their studies.
Legislation Governing Admission
The following legislation is applicable to admission requirements:
- Department of Education Higher Education Act, 1997(Act 101 of 1997) Minimum Admission Requirements for Higher Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor's Degree Programmes requiring a National Senior Certificate (NSC) (Government Gazette, 24 Vol 751, No 32131 of 11 July 2008).
- The Higher Education Qualifications Framework (As Revised September 2011).