When asked, students often reply that the Bible is there to tell you how to live, how to behave and what is right and what is wrong.
Wrong! The Bible is far more than that. If you believe you love Jesus Christ, you surely want to know who He is and what He stands for. Because He orders his disciples to teach all people to “observe all that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28:20). To follow Jesus is to serve Him. “If anyone serves me, the Father will honour him” (John 12:26).
The Bible is God’s Word to enable his followers to follow, praise, respect, know and serve Him in the way He wants to be served. Therefore He tells us:
- His greatness and almightiness: that He created the universe and is still fully in charge;
- The history of His relation with his people, the covenant: his promises and expectations; how He wants his people to serve Him and how time and again they disappoint Him;
- His laws and wisdom as the way not only to serve Him as He wants to be served, but also so that it will benefit his people;
- How He has saved us from eternal damnation through the teachings, life, crucifixion, resurrection and ascension;
- How since Christ lived on earth the church, his Body, was established and directed;
- His battle with Satan in which Satan and his devils try to win over mankind, but have been fighting a losing battle ever since Christ’s crucifixion.
If the whole Bible – Old and New Testament – is not preached comprehensively and in its full depth, according to God’s will, his children will not be able to serve Him and please Him. And He wants to be pleased. That is the reason why He created us!
Johannesburg campus- right and ready
Seminar: How to prepare a sermon